Xp clients not updating dns
It's just reporting the "could not find host" error message.
I believe that nslookup opens a winsock connection on the DNS port and issues a query, whereas ping uses the DNS Client service.
try to use the command below to flush and reset a client resolver cache for test.
ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /registerdns Please refer to the link below for more details.
(Note that some of the proposed fixes, like the workaround for the multi-label queries, are obviously irrelevant, as the unqualified name has only one part.) Then I noticed that the target system I was trying to ping did NOT have an IPv6 address. For me the fix was to disable IPv6 completely as I don't need it at all. I'd rather not have to tell everyone else on the network to do this when they need to access the same resource.
But I'd be really interested to find a more gentle way to tell ping (or presumably the DNS client service) to try resolving both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. I was looking at the suggestion from Frederik Aalund as a possible solution and noticed that they suggested switching from the default "Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes" option.
For me it seemed some dns-caching-system within the windows client is faulty. As fare I can recall PING uses Netbios/WINS and DNS (in that order, at least if you don't specify a FQDN).Network Connections and right click on your network connection and hit Properties. Go to the DNS tab, this is where I had added a DNS suffix for my work but also needed one for my normal home connections. This made me think maybe my network was simply slightly missconfigured.Click Internet Protocol Version 4 and hit the Properties button. Looking at my DD-WRT settings, the "LAN Domain" was left unset.I had the same problem on a Windows 2012R2 (=8.1) system, and tried all the above suggestions, but none of them would fix it: - Pinging the fully qualified name worked. - Both worked on several other systems, that had the same OS and apparently the same configuration.- All the necessary suffix search strings were there. So for some reason, on this system only, ping only tried to resolve unqualified name-IPv4.